Sunday 9 January 2011

Iron free horse...

Blurghhhhh, I can't believe I typed that, I hate the hippy phrases that have sprung up as people somehow think they invented riding a horse bareback in a halter (did we not all do that with our sharp little ponies when we were eight?) and that its only possible with "Natural Horsemanship" and long distance learning courses.

There is nothing "Natural Horsemanship" in the way this little mare was broken, schooled and trained (she says there may be in the way you leave me to forage for food in the snowy wilderness...) and yet you can leap on her and round up the herd in a halter. She's not brain dead, far from it, she's a proper little athlete (yes, under the fur!) and Mark did say as she bounced in the gateway he thought "best not give her a kick in the ribs, or I'm going to be making snow angels"!!

I don't give a rats-ass if she's left brain introvert (or whatever the phrase of the week is) I just know she's a damn good horse who knows her job and was raised and trained by real horsemen! The problem in this country (apart from the obvious that horses are no longer used for work in the majority) is that somehow we have become a nation that expects horses (dogs/children) to be naughty and its a self fufilling prophesy. Don't let the rot set in, be proud if you've got a good 'un!

Oh and yes the look on Pitufa's face is - I have counted them through the gate, they are all on, get off me and let me eat haylage!!







1 comment:

Teri said...

I once had an Appy/Quarter horse mare that I could ride without even the halter. Loved it. It's just good training and trust in my opinion.