Friday 1 February 2008

But it was like Spring?

The weather has turned!! Glorious on Monday and Wednesday, real Spring days, the grass is growing, the daffodils are shooting through and then...... Wham gale force winds and blizzards.

I noticed Lizzie's rug had lost a front strap and decided I would like to pop an all singing, all dancing, guaranteed to keep a geriatric horse warm in arctic conditions version on her instead. Out I went, not too windy, whipped the rug off her and threw the new one on - didn't even touch her back before it was blown off. Right more enthusiasm this time, I fling the rug on with all the force I can muster and suddenly the world goes black. I'm covered in rug from head to toe and the neck cover is winding its way round my head and slowly throttling me! When I fight my way out Lizzie shivers slighly and is clearly saying "would you like to share the warmth, it's cold out here?"

Into the barn then, Ruby is in best bouncer pose "Its my barn and you 'aint coming in"
"Gerrrrout of it, you **** *****" I mutter (probably muffled through layers of rug)
"Ha ha" mutters Ruby "Fighting talk from the midget in the horse rug" But she lets us in and soon Lizzie is so cosy, only her ears peeping out and off she goes to weather the storm again ("What storm I see no storm?")

Right off to the stables I go and turn Nico out - "Nooooooo its cold out here"
I tell him, I'll be five minutes, he'll barely have time to make a snow angel before I have him tucked up in a nice clean bed with a pile of haylage in front of him.
"Your lying" he mutters, "horses have died of exposure in the time it takes you to muck out, died and been eaten by coyotes I tell you......"

1 comment:

Christine said...

Well, that made me laugh! I can picture all of those personalities - you explained them perfectly! Many a time I've been covered in a rug or saddle blanket too while trying to work against the wind! Or the favourite - throwing the rug all the way over the horse and it landing on the other side... whoops!